A foreign individual can also exercise an employment in Macedonia subject to approval being issued by the Employment Agency of the Republic of Macedonia. Foreign nationals coming to the Republic of Macedonia for employment, education, scientific research or professional activity should possess a single-entry visa with one month validity. The Consular Office of an overseas Republic of Macedonia diplomatic Mission normally issues these visas, although the consent of the Ministry of Interior is first required to obtain such a visa. After receiving this visa foreign nationals should obtain residence and work permits from the Bureau for Employment. This procedure should generally take a few weeks. We have translated a part of the Law for foreigners, that might be of your interest:
I. Business visa for foreign citizens
Business visa for intra-corporative transfers is issued with validity up to three years and it at a request it may be extended by no more than two years. Intra-corporative transfers are temporary transfers of foreign citizens offering services through commercial presence on the territory of Macedonia, who occupy leading managerial or executive positions or who have high and deficient qualifications or education necessary for the work of the trade company in Macedonia.
The business visa provides the foreign citizen with an approved stay and unlimited entries to and exits from Macedonia during business visa validity period. The business visa is issued in a regional organisational unit of the Ministry of Interior depending on the region where the foreign citizen works and stays.
Apart from the business visa issuing application, which the foreign citizen fills in a form issued by MoI’s regional organisational unit, the person needs to submit:
1. Valid passport;
2. photocopy from the judiciary registry where it has been verified that the person is a founder, cofounder or co-partner with certain equity in a company or a document verifying that the person has been appointed for performing some function or duty in a company registered and operating in Macedonia;
3. document of the person’s residence address in Macedonia;
4. (agreement for lease of flat, house etc) two photos;
5. one photo;
6. paid fee in accordance with the Law on Administrative Fees;
7. the competent body in the procedure could request other documents as well.
II. Issuing travel certificates to foreigners with a stay permit
For every trip abroad, the foreigner who holds a travel certificate must also provide an appropriate visa from the body that issued the TCF. The application is submitted to the Ministry of Interior and a fee is charged with respect to the place of residence in compliance with the Law on Administrative Fees.
III. Issuing IDs to foreigners with a residence permit
As an exemption an ID card for foreigners is also issued to foreigners with a temporary residence permit on the grounds of marriage or employment. With the application, the applicant is also to submit two photographs and pay a fee in compliance with the Law on Administrative Fees. The foreigner must carry the ID card for foreigners with himself at all times.
IV. Issuing entry-exit visas to foreigners with a residence permit
The Ministry of Interior issues entry-exit visas to foreigners for leaving and returning to the Republic of Macedonia with validity no longer than the validity of their temporary residence permit.Valid travel documents are to be submitted and a fee in compliance with the Law on Administrative Fees is to be paid when filing the application.
V. Issuing residence permits on the grounds of marriage with a Macedonian citizen
1. A marriage certificate, issued by the Ministry of Interior regional branch (if the marriage has been concluded abroad, the applicant must previously go to the competent services in order for the marriage to be registered in the marriage registry in the Republic of Macedonia).
2. A photocopy of valid travel document and the travel document is to be provided only for inspection.
3. A proof that life expenses can be covered (proof of employment, a pension cheque etc). If the applicant has no personal income, the abovementioned documents from the spouse are to be submitted. If the spouse is dependant on other persons, then the aforementioned documents for those persons are submitted with a notary certified statement that the applicant for temporary residence is their dependant).
4. A photocopy of a certificate of reported place of stay or residence.
5. A photocopy of identity documents of the spouse.
6. A fee in compliance with the Law on Administrative Fees.
7. One photograph, and
8. The competent body could also request other documents in the procedure.
The application is to be submitted to the competent body of the Ministry of Interior according to the place of residence of the foreigner. The residence permit is embossed as a stamp on the foreigner’s travel document and may also be issued in writing.