News in English

Hearings over Two SPO cases Continue

Thursday’s hearing over the case concerning the 2013 violence in the Municipality of Centar ended after just one witness, New Alternative Councillor Nikola Gjeorgjievski, had testified. Lawyer Boro Tasevski, after the end of the hearing, complained of Special Prosecutor Katica Janeva’s stand, presented on Wednesday, that the Criminal Court should increase the dynamism of hearings over cases run by the ...

Read More »

Criminal Court comments on Reactions to scheduling of Hearings

Commenting on the stands presented by lawyer Boro Tasevski and Special Prosecutor Katica Janeva about the hearings over Special Prosecutor’s Office (SPO) cases, the Criminal Court said on Thursday the rights of the parties in the cases were fully respected. As it added, efforts are underway for precise and adjusted schedules for main hearings. “In September, there are 10 scheduled ...

Read More »

ODIHR opens Observation mission for Name referendum in Macedonia

The OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) formally opened on Monday a referendum observation mission (ROM) for the 30 September referendum in the Macedonia.  The mission’s deployment follows an invitation from the country’s authorities. The mission is led by Ambassador Jan Petersen and consists of a core team of 13 experts based in Skopje and 20 long-term ...

Read More »

Zaev: SDSM to Try to form Coalition with Many parties for Referendum

“For now, SDSM has no projection when it comes to the amount it will spend for the referendum campaign, but all money from the budget that will be spent in that regard will exclusively be used to lease media space,” PM Zoran Zaev said on Tuesday. According to him, that money will not be given to MPs. As Zaev added, ...

Read More »

VMRO-DPMNE leader Mickoski not Optimistic about Referendum

Unlike PM Zoran Zaev, VMRO-DPMNE leader Hristijan Mickoski is not optimistic when it comes to the referendum. In an interview with Alfa TV, he says that the government, too, is aware that the name deal with Greece is bad and that there is a great chance of the referendum not being successful. Also, he reiterates his party stand about supporting ...

Read More »

Everything is in Macedonian citizens’ Hands, says Commissioner Hahn

The EU’s Commissioner for European Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations, Johannes Hahn, is adamant that everything is in the Macedonian citizens’ hands – whether they want to bring back the country to the isolation it exited difficultly or see it become part of the Euro-Atlantic structures. In his view, there is no plan B. “I think all of us worked ...

Read More »

US Congress members Hold meetings in Skopje

US Congress members Bill Flores, Gerry Connolly, Dina Titus, Susan Davis and David Price, within their frameworks of their visit to Macedonia, held a meeting with PM Zoran Zaev on Monday at which they congratulated him on the name deal. Also, they acknowledged the reform processes so far. The meeting was attended by, among others, Defence Minister Radmila Sekerinska, FM ...

Read More »

Mickoski: Part of funds for Referendum should be Reutilised and donated

VMRO-DPMNE leader Hristijan Mickoski will propose to his party’s parliamentary group for part of the funds confirmed for his party for the referendum to be donated and reutilised and donated. As he wrote on his Facebook profile, the money should be used for Kiril Pejcinovic Secondary School in Tetovo. “If there is a legal obstacle for that, VMRO-DPMNE will renounce ...

Read More »

SEC deadlines for Insight into Voter list and Diaspora applications Expire

The State Election Commission’s (SEC) deadlines for insight into the voter list and applications by diaspora members have expired. 5,641 citizens conducted insight, while 16,805 checked whether they are part of the list through the SEC’s website. Regarding the diaspora, just 2,855 people applied. 100 applications were rejected. On Friday, the SEC voted through the Code of Conduct for Referendum ...

Read More »

Trial over 27 April case Continues

The trial over the parliamentary incidents that took place on 27 April 2017 continued on Thursday. Former Public Security Bureau (PSB) Director Mitko Cavkov, who is among the defendants, said in his opening statement that he had personally taken command for consolidation due the police officers’ confusion and indecision. “I spent 30 years at the Interior Ministry. I retired as ...

Read More »